March 19, 2020
A Message from Janalyn Mergist:
To all of my wonderful students out there, wherever you may be:
Although in person office visits are temporarily interrupted due to COVID-19, please know that I remain available to you for academic advisement remotely. Please do not hesitate to reach out as necessary, by sending me an email. When you do, please include your BYUID#, as it is usually necessary for me to access your records in order to provide you with the help you need and/or answer your questions. If your needs require more than email correspondence, and you would like a phone appointment, please also include your phone # along with best times to call within the following 48 hours (preferably daytime hours). Plan on phone appointments generally being required for AIPs and graduation planning assignments.
We will be interrupting our usual weekly advisement newsletter until on-campus events are able to resume. In the meantime, please pay attention to news you receive from the university and college for current updates. You may receive an occasional announcement (such as those below) from our department should the need arise.
I love and care so much for each of you and I am praying for your health, safety, resilience and success!!!
2020 Spring ECEn TA Application -TOMORROW
Fall 2020/ Winter 2021 Scholarships
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department Scholarship Application for Fall semester 2020/ Winter semester 2021 is now available at the following link: https://ece.byu.edu/form/scholarship-application-2020. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to apply for funding for the upcoming academic year! Application deadline is Wednesday, April 15th, 2020, at midnight.
Message from Career Services:
Career Services is deeply concerned about the potential impact the Coronavirus will have on our students – specifically in regard to finding good employment. Here are some things we are doing to help.
- Monthly Outreach to Students: Career Directors are outreaching every student in their assigned major each month via email to offer career assistance and tips. Career Directors are available for one-on-one appointments via Zoom or phone. We are meeting with students every day. Tony Jewkes is our Career Director for Electrical & Computer, Manufacturing, School of Technology.
- Chat: There is a live-chat option for both students and employers on our website: careers.byu.edu. (bottom right corner)
- Outreaching Employers: Marcia Bingham has created a prioritized list of employers by major for the College. We are sending personalized emails to our contacts at these companies. Some of them have scheduled to hold virtual information sessions. Students can find out about these meetings on Handshake.
- Job Search Modules (online): We are in conversation with the Center for Teaching and Learning and are working to create an online version of the 2-Hour Job Search class that has been taught in Chemical and Mechanical Engineering. This will walk students through the process of creating and implementing a strategic networking plan. Here’s what we have online so far: https://careers.byu.edu/find-a-job-or-internship
- V-mock (Resume Help). This is a new system being used by the Marriott School. We are in the process of tailoring it for engineering resumes, but it currently works well for all students.
- “Ask an Expert” series will be going online. We will be utilizing Zoom to present on various career strategies. Details coming soon!
- Mock interviews: Students can practice interviewing online using Standout. They can also schedule a Zoom mock interview with their Career Director by calling 801-422-3000.